Definitions: recommendations and recommenders

In the StandOut Admissions Network Application System, your locker can contain various types of official documents, including recommendations. A recommendation is something you can ask for from a specific person, such as a high school counselor or teacher, or any other individual who knows you and your work. 

Go to Locker > Official Documents to view and request recommendations.

A recommender is a person you ask for a recommendation. That person can accept the request and submit a letter, which you can then attach to a college application. There are three types of recommenders which can be attached to college applications you submit via the StandOut Admissions Network system:

  • Counselor Recommenders: Use this type for your high school counselor.

  • Academic Recommenders: Use this type for teachers you ask to write an official letter about your high school or college career.

  • General Recommenders: Use this type for recommenders other than your counselor or teachers. You can add up to eight additional recommendation requests. Some colleges you apply to may allow you to submit one or more of this type of recommendation, but other colleges may not accept them.

Counselor recommendations are only required for first-year applications.

If you are a current high school student, you should request a counselor recommendation from your School Counselor and academic recommendations from teachers or others who know your academic work. 

If you're a current college student planning to apply as a Transfer, you do not need any counselor recommendations.

See how to request a recommendation for information on requesting a letter from a recommender.





Article is closed for comments.